When you have an old air conditioner, in all probability you are not looking ahead at the hot and humid summer. Many times, you would have shelled out a lot of cash for AC maintenance in previous summers. If you are looking for an AC maintenance service that can be relied upon, you must know what is involved in it. Let’s take a closer look at the checklist for AC preventive maintenance elements. By doing this you will be able to keep both your electric and repair bills on the lower side. The preventive AC maintenance keeps your air conditioner running smoothly and will save a great deal on the energy bills.
1. Thermostat: If you have an old or malfunctioning thermostat on your AC it measures the wrong temperature. As a result of this, the AC unit starts too rapidly or stops too soon. This may damage the internal fans or the compressor. Similarly, you will not be able to maintain a comfortable and consistent temperature inside the house.
2. Air filter: The next element to check is the air filter. The dirty air filter can stain the HVAC unit and force it to work additionally for pushing the air. What is even worse is that this will stop the cleaning of harmful irritants from the air. This may cause the irritants to be blown throughout the home. The air filter has to be changed every three months, the sooner if you are suffering from any allergies. If this problem is left unattended it will damage the HVAC (Heating Ventilation and Air Conditioning) system and contribute towards the inmates suffering from health problems.
3. Condensate Lines: Mold or algae may build up inside the drain pan lines. In case this is left untreated, the mold can spill the extra water around the closest areas. This is an electrical danger apart from being a health hazard if it is positioned near the wiring and other sensitive equipment.
4. Wiring: Wiring is the next most common place where the issues are likely to occur. The reason for loose connections is mainly the overheating of the units. If there is a short circuit, it can even be a potential for fire hazards. If you keep the wiring tight and well-insulated the AC system will perform at its best and will not present any unwanted dangers.
5. Coils: Outside the AC unit, the condenser coils tend to build up grime and dirt. On the inside, evaporator coils will collect dirt and debris. The clogged coils will slow down the AC and force its working to become more difficult. This will cause the AC to consume a lot more electricity than normally required. If you clean these coils you are keeping the AC unit working with great energy efficiency. This also helps in lowering the energy bill.
6. Check the whole system: After examining all the main components, the entire AC system needs to be checked to find out whether it is working right. This involves turning on the unit, measuring the temperature, checking whether the unit is shutting off properly, and measurement of internal pressure. Similarly, the unit should be checked for smells and noises.
Keep in mind that the AC maintenance professional should visit your house once every spring and once in the fall for taking preventive measures. If you have to keep calling the technician all summer you are going to have a long summer and you are also going to get tired of shelling out the additional cash. Bad AC maintenance is expensive in the longer run. For real help in AC maintenance, you can contact Prestige Air Conditioning & Heating LLC. They will send a professional who will suggest the best AC maintenance alternatives.
Picture Credit: Adobe Stock